Well known iOS hacking team, evad3rs shocked the jailbreak community today with an unexpected iOS 7.x jailbreak release. The team is calling the Christmas surprise evasi0n7 1.0, an untethered jailbreak available for all iPhone, iPod touch, iPad and iPad mini models running iOS 7.0, 7.0.1, 7.0.2, 7.0.3, 7.0.4, 7.1beta1 and 7.1beta2.
After a barrage of public criticism toward the ethics of the evad3r team (@pimskeks, @planetbeing, @pod2g, and @MuscleNerd) the group released a statement on their website addressing all accused issues:
Dear Jailbreak Community,
We are deeply troubled by the rumors and speculation surrounding our iOS 7 jailbreak. We would like to present the whole story to you.
Most of the concern surrounds the inclusion of the Chinese App Store Taig. In the course of developing the iOS 7 jailbreak, we were approached by the company with an offer of partnership in offering Taig bundled with the jailbreak in China. Taig is a Chinese App Store written in Chinese. tailored and, we believe, well suited to meet the needs of users for the Chinese market. Users are not locked into Taig. Cydia can also be installed and Taig removed afterwards. It would be deeply hypocritical to remove choice from the user in the course of jailbreaking.
To jailbreak with evasi0n7 head over to the official website at http://evasi0n.com/, after making sure your device is compatible (settings –> general –> about) then select your correct operating system, unzip the .dmg or .zip file, and follow the instructions below.
– Backup your device using iTunes (or iCloud) before using evasi0n. If something breaks, you’ll always be able to recover your data.
– Those who use backup passwords in iTunes must disable them for now. After doing so, iTunes makes a brand new backup. Please wait for that backup to complete before proceeding! Feel free to re-enable your backup password after jailbreaking.
– Please disable the lock passcode of your iOS device before using evasi0n. It can cause issues.
– Launch evasi0n, plug in your device, and click “Jailbreak”. Just sit back and observe its progress. Watch for any steps you may be asked to perform.
– Avoid all iOS and iTunes related tasks until evasi0n is complete. Why not just enjoy a brief break from the computer to stretch your legs?
– If the process gets stuck somewhere, it’s safe to restart the program, reboot the device (if necessary by holding down Power and Home until it shuts down), and rerun the process.
Because of the early jailbreak, Cydia tweaks are not yet compatible with iOS 7. The Evad3rs team suggests that the situation will improve as developers will update their software in the near future.
For a full list of all compatible Cydia tweaks and packages click the linked button below. Much thanks to the folks over at Redmond Pie for compiling (and continuously updating) the list.
If you have any questions regarding the jailbreak process or jailbreaking in general
please go to the Jailbreak QA dedicated website: http://www.jailbreakqa.com
or see their help page for evasi0n: http://www.jailbreakqa.com/pages/evasi0n-help
or try /r/jailbreak on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/jailbreak